Strawberries, Blueberries, Spinach and the Brain

2 comments
Strawberries, Blueberries, Spinach and the Brain
Illustration by Lydia Kibiuk, copyright © 2003 Lydia Kibiuk.

Your snack choice is more important than you think. New research indicates that in addition to affecting your waistline, food also can influence your brain. Some diets appear to aid mental functioning while others harm it. Altogether the studies show the importance of diet on mental health and also may have implications for those who suffer from certain brain ailments.

Loathe anything leafy and green? Obsess over cream-filled cupcakes?

Junk food junkies take notice. What you eat does more than influence your gut. It also may affect your brain. Increasing evidence shows that certain fruits and veggies produce brain benefits, while some types of fat appear to cause harm. The new studies are leading to:
  • A better understanding of food's complex actions.
  • The development of diets that may improve brain functions and help prevent or treat brain ailments.

Mentally healthy foods include strawberries, blueberries and spinach, according to some of the work. In one example, researchers fed aging rats the daily equivalent of a pint of strawberries, pint of blueberries or a spinach salad for two months. Compared with aging rats on a regular diet, molecular measures of brain cell communications showed that the supplemented animals had better cell function. They also performed better on a memory test. In addition, preliminary findings indicate that the food possibly may have an effect on Alzheimer's disease (AD), a memory-impairing disorder that hits in old-age. Mice bred to develop AD perform better on a memory task when they receive a blueberry supplement. Their brain cell communication also enhances. Plans to study supplements of the foods in humans are under way.

Researchers surmise that the benefits of these produce items stem, at least in part, from their high antioxidant content. In the brain, antioxidant molecules wage war against troops of molecules, known as free radicals, which can harm brain cells and brain function (see illustration). Many scientists believe that, as we age and during various disease-related circumstances, our internal antioxidant defenses can become overpowered by the free radical force. The antioxidant-rich foods are thought to offer brain protection during these times by providing an extra boost in defense, keeping the free radicals in check.

General diets rich in antioxidants also have benefits. By following a group of people aged 65 and over for about four years, researchers recently found that a diet packed with high levels of the antioxidant, vitamin E, was associated with a lower risk of developing AD in some people.

On the other end of the spectrum, a crop of studies finds evidence that gorging on foods that contain high levels of saturated fat-think french fries and donuts-can hinder brain function. Even though some fat is important for health, many Americans go overboard, especially with the saturated form. Studies indicate that rats kept on a comparable diet, where approximately 40 percent of their daily calories come from saturated fats, perform poorly on tests of memory and learning.

Human studies also report negative effects. In one study researchers examined the food intake of some 5,000 participants. People who ate diets high in saturated fat had an increased risk of dementia.

It's not clear how excessive saturated fat harms the brain, but there are many theories. Some blame its effect on glucose, a sugar that provides energy to the body and brain. While a short-term supply of glucose can help the brain, excess fat may create a situation where brain cells receive a long-term, harmful exposure to glucose. Research on people with diabetes, a disease marked by problems with glucose, fits with this idea. For example, one report found that diabetics perform poorly on memory tests. Other research indicates that excess fat affects certain brain memory molecules. One of the studies on rats found that the high fat diet cut levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and other related molecules in the brain, which are thought to aid the formation of memories.

More research is needed to sort out all the complicated effects of food, but scientists hope eventually to develop specific dietary guidelines that aid brain health. For now, researchers say it can't hurt to eat more fruits and veggies and cut down on saturated fat.

[Explanations to the fig.

One way certain foods may help the brain is by fighting off harmful free radical molecules (A), which roam around anxiously looking to combine with other molecules. Their rush for a mate is thought to cause cell damage or even cell death (B) and contribute to a variety of brain function problems. Researchers believe that foods, such as strawberries, blueberries and spinach, provide the brain with extra platoons of antioxidants. These protective molecules can take the free radicals out of commission, ending their assault.]


Related Topics:

Protein Hazard: How to Save Your Liver When You Are on a Diet

100 Foods That Won't Kill You Right Now

Warning: milk eliminates health benefits of tea

Fruit helps prevent eye disease

Fruit and Vegetable Coloring Compounds may help to fight Cancer

The Cretan Diet: Uncovering Its Heart Health Secrets Through the Ages

Fruit Pomelit helps to prevent Heart Attacks


[Source]


2 comments :

  1. I am here to give my testimony about chief dr lucky who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from herpes simplex virus by chief dr lucky, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on herpes and i saw comment of people talking about how chief dr lucky cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my herpes result came out negative. I pray for you chief dr lucky am cured you can also get your self cured my friends if you really need my doctor help, you can reach him now.
    Email: chiefdrlucky@gmail.com Call or What's App +2348132777335
    Website : http://chiefdrluckysolutionhome.website2.me/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka









    I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete